Sunday, June 29, 2008
Please contact them to make a Sprint Instinct version available.
(Their new beta server is based on WebKit3, the same engine used by Safari 3 in Mac OS 10.5 "Leopard"!)
However the browser hangs on the actual phone on second and subsequent runs! Hopefully this will be fixed soon by Opera. It is uncertain if the problem is with Opera software or with Sprint Instinct's Java MIDP implementation. My hunch is Sprint because this device doesn't seem to be fully compliant (just look at the missing keyboard option in Java forcing you to rewrite every MIDP compliant Java application to use Instinct's keyboard widgets). Also note that when this video was created, even the emulator was missing Instinct's keyboard UI (which is likely to be available in next release of Sprint Toolkit).
Please be patient and watch the full video to see Opera Mini running (on the emulator, not the actual phone):
If you would like to make a request for Opera Mini on Instinct phone, please make a "polite" request to Opera here:
Friday, June 27, 2008
Thursday, June 26, 2008
- Enable Mobile Sync on your Sprint Instinct Phone (Go to Settings screen from the Main screen).
- Log in to your Sprint account on Sprint's website.
- Go to the link that says "My Online Tools".
- Then click on the link that says "Open Sprint Mobile Sync" and wait for it to load.
- Then click on "Download Desktop Sync " on the top right of this page.
- Click on Run to install it (or save and then install it).
- Now on your PC, go to Start --> All Programs -->Sprint Desktop Sync Settings and enter your sprint account information.
- Then run Start --> All Programs -->Sprint Desktop Sync Synchronize.
- This will upload your outlook contacts to Sprint's website (you can even set up a schedule).
- Go back to the Sprint web page in Step 4.
- Click on "Sync now!" at the bottom of this page.
- That's it!
Wednesday, June 25, 2008
In the meantime, here is a way to make Opera Mini 3.1 (version 3.1.10423) work on the phone (even WITHOUT THE KEYBOARD):
- Switch the Instinct's browser to mobile mode and go to Operamini.com and select the option to install older version. After a few clicks, you should be able to download and run opera mini 3.1
- The keyboard on Opera Mini doesn't work (it will work after Instinct's java update in a month or two) so you can not enter any text or web address. But if you look at the bookmarks of Opera Mini, you will notice it has a book mark to ESPN.com website.
- Go to ESPN website on your PC and look for the section that says "Fan Favorites" and under it, you will see most commented and click on it. Then click on the first link under it.
- Then create a Fan profile from your PC so you can post a comment.
- Once you are logged in from your PC, post a comment on that (ESPN's) site with text containing the following URL (see if you can find one already created by someone else) : http://instinctbookmarks.blogspot.com/
- Now get back on your Sprint Instinct phone and start Opera Mini 3 from Games and Apps.
- Go to Opera Mini's bookmarks and go to ESPN. ESPN page will load. Find the most commented section and locate your post from earlier. This will have the URL to click on. Click on this URL and the page will load. Then you book mark it by doing Add bookmark on Opera Mini.
- From now on, you can go to http://instinctbookmarks.blogspot.com/ from your Sprint Instinct in Opera Mini 3.1.
- To add more bookmarks, get back on your PC and post a comment on this (the one you are reading from) site with the URL that you want (make sure that your URL's start with http to make them clickable in Opera mini).
- Then come back to http://instinctbookmarks.blogspot.com/ from your phone via Opera, click on your comment URL and open that site. Now you can directly book mark that site!
- You can bookmark any site you want this way!
- Opera Mini 3.1 is an OLDER version and is not nearly as good as Opera Mini 4.1. But until that time, you can get decent browsing speed and portrait view browsing using Opera 3.1 Mini!
- DON'T Forget: In the Opera Mini 3.1, go to Menu-->Tools-->Settings and uncheck "Content Folding" for better browsing. It will be difficult to tap on tiny checkbox but you will get it after a few tries. And I like the font size of Large from the settings.
Enjoy and spread the word!
UPDATE: Since this workaround was first provided here, hundreds of people are using Opera Mini 3.1 on their Instinct and it has been covered well in most other forums. If you don't want to use the ESPN site to generate bookmarks, you can also use the Opera Mini forum to post your links (bookmarked in Opera Mini 3.1 browser as My Opera--> Forums --> Opera Mini and then you add your bookmarks from this site after you add your links from your PC to this forum)
Don't forget to bookmark this link below on your Opera Mini: