Tuesday, October 7, 2008

RIM provides details on Touch Screen BlackBerry - Blackberry Storm


Here are details of the upcoming BlackBerry touch screen phone named BlackBerry® Storm™ with a 528-MHz processor:

Specifications




















































Features Available
  • Wireless email

  • Organizer

  • Browser

  • Phone

  • Camera (3.2 MP)

  • Video Recording

  • BlackBerry® Maps

  • Media Player

  • Built-in GPS

  • Corporate data access

  • SMS

  • MMS

Size and Weight

  • 4.43"/112.5mm (Length)

  • 2.45"/62.2mm (Width)

  • 0.55"/13.95mm (Depth)

  • 5.5 oz/155g (Weight)

Data Input/Navigation

  • Touch Screen Navigation, with ClickThrough for user selection

  • On screen keyboard: portrait SureType® and Multi-tap, QWERTY landscape

Voice Input/Output

  • 3.5mm stereo headset capable

  • Integrated earpiece/ microphone

  • Built-in speakerphone

  • Mono/stereo headset, hands-free, phone book access profile and serial port profile supported (Bluetooth® technology)

Media Player

  • Video format support: MPEG4 H.263, MPEG4 Part 2 Simple Profile, H.264, WMV

  • Audio format support: MP3, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, WMA, WMA ProPlus

Display

  • High resolution 480 x 360 pixel color display

  • Transmissive TFT LCD

  • Font size (user selectable)

  • Light sensing screen

Notification

  • Polyphonic/MIDI ringtones

  • MP3 ringtones

  • Vibrate mode

  • LED indicator

Approximate Battery Life

  • 15 days (Standby time)

  • 5.5 hours (Talk time)

Memory

  • Expandable memory – support for microSD™ card

  • 1GB onboard memory

  • 128 MB Flash (flash memory)

Modem

  • RIM® wireless modem

  • Tethered modem capability

Email Integrations

  • Works with BlackBerry® Enterprise Server for Microsoft® Exchange

  • Works with BlackBerry® Enterprise Server for IBM® Lotus® Domino®

  • Works with BlackBerry® Enterprise Server for Novell® GroupWise®

  • Integrates with an existing enterprise email account

  • Integrates with existing personal email account

  • Integrates with optional new device account

Device Security

  • Password protection and screen lock

  • Sleep mode

  • Support for AES or Triple DES encryption when integrated with BlackBerry® Enterprise Server

  • Optional support for S/MIME

Wireless Network

  • UMTS/HSPA: 2100 MHz

  • North America: 850 MHz GSM®/GPRS networks

  • North America: 1900MHz GSM/GPRS networks

  • Europe/Asia Pacific: 1800MHz GSM/GPRS networks

  • Europe/Asia Pacific: 900MHz GSM/GPRS networks

  • Dual-Band: 800/1900 MHz CDMA/Ev-DO networks

3 comments:

Roadtrekkin RV Adventures said...

On a slightly unrelated note, I see that Sprint are still marketing the Instinct as an Iphone killer, with a new round of videos.

http://www.instinctthephone.com/?dl=video/vs

I've been testing the Touch Diamond for the past few weeks, but after the latest crash (see http://instinctventing.blogspot.com/2008/10/annoying-things-my-touch-diamond-does.html for details) I'm thinking about returning it and trying the Blackberry Curve. Failing that then I may even return to the Instinct. While it crashed on the browser and navigation it at least didn't crash in the middle of the night for no reason while it was being charged!

Any comments on the Curve, or general advice would be good...

Me said...

My friend has a BlackBerry curve and he is happy with it (he upgraded from a good old flip phone so this is his first smart phone). It just doesn't have the large touch screen browser that I want in a phone. I have had call drop issues with iPhone 3G but I am sticking with it. Every app I can think of is either available for free or cheaper than starbucks coffee. I have read that iPhone 3G call drop issue goes away if you turn the 3G off and leave it in 2G like when you are expecting or making an important call but I don't use the call feature much. I don't know when the BlackBerry storm will be available on Sprint but you could certainly try out BlackBerry curve. There are many apps available for BlackBerry too! It just has a smaller screen. I still have 2 Instinct phones sitting at my table in boxes. One day I need to put them on craigslist.

Roadtrekkin RV Adventures said...

That is going to be the deal breaker. I want a good browser on my phone and while I can use Opera mini on the blackberry, I'd rather be using Opera Mobile (actually i'd rather be using safari, but hey!). I love the Touch Diamond, but I also need to know that when I get a call in the night (emergencies do happen!) that my phone is going to ring - not lie there because it spontaniously crashed in the night. The Blackberry was never even on my radar as far as the phones I'd like to own, but after two bad experiences, maybe it's time to go with a tried and tested phone rather than cutting edge.

Search in Older Posts