Friday, July 25, 2008

How to resolve S7112 error on Instinct's email program

If you are seeing the error S7112 (Unable to initiate a network connection. Please check your data connection and try again. (S7112)) on your Instinct email intermittently, you could try some of these:
  • Go to Main -> Settings -> General ->Update Data Profile OR
  • Try powering off your phone and powering it back on OR
  • Take battery out for 1 minute (I left the battery out for 1 hour and it seems to be working fine since, but you never know. It is possibly because I set my email settings to Auto-receive "On" this time while it was "Off" earlier and I was doing manual refresh. Setting Auto-receive to "on" is probably keeping the connection alive.)

One of these should resolve the issue (at least temporarily). It might be a problem at Sprint's end or Seven's servers or could be that the email application doesn't always successfully initiate a data connection. Let's see if the software update from Sprint will fix it.

UPDATE: According to our reader "murphyrulez" there is one more temporary solution -"opening the navigation program and letting it communicate, then closing navigation and going back to email will fix the problem"


See a related thread here:
http://developer.sprint.com/seehere

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I have found that if you are getting the network error, opening the navigation program and letting it communicate, then closing navigation and going back to email will fix the problem. At least for a few minutes.

Me said...

Thanks, I will give it a try. This probably means that whatever codebase that is used to initiate communication might not be initializing properly with email.

Anonymous said...

I have the same problem. Similar to MurphyRulez I open a website, refresh it to start a network connection (the up/down arrows at the top blink), and then go back to my Email or whatever program was giving me the error (also happens to me with the Sports, News, etc. widgets).

Unfortunately I have to do this several times a day :(. I'll try removing the battery as suggested. All of the other techniques you listed do not work for me, though.

Me said...

You are correct that network connection doesn't activate (blinking up/down arrows at the top don't blink when this problem occurs) so there must be some kind of timeout or that the email application is not able to activate the network connection.

Anonymous said...

After my Sprint email worked for a couple of weeks with no problems, I started getting the same error. I tried all of the above mentioned problems with no improvement.
So I finally just removed that email account from the phone, and set it back up again (took about 30 seconds). The only change I made was to turn SMTP Authorization to On.

Some seem to have had success changing the SMTP port from 25 to 587 as well, but it wasn't necessary for me.

Anonymous said...

Kudos to all of you who have set up your accounts and no longer have the S7112 error. I have a working GMail account on my Instinct and yet when I try to set up my work email I get the dreaded s7112 error. I have been over this with my IT guys and Sprint many times so if anyone has any suggestions I would love it.

Settings:
Other IMAP Account

incoming server mail.xxxxxxxx.org
port 993
SSL ON

outgoing server mail.xxxxxxxx.org
port 587
SSL ON
SMTP Auth ON

Thanks!

Search in Older Posts