Thursday, July 24, 2008

Walt Mossberg says "Apple’s MobileMe Is Far Too Flawed To Be Reliable"

Source:
http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20080723/apples-mobileme-is-far-too-flawed-to-be-reliable/



"So it was a big deal when Apple (AAPL) announced a new service that, for $100 a year, would bring corporate-type synchronization of email, calendars and contacts to anyone."
...
"Unfortunately, after a week of intense testing of the service, I can’t recommend it, at least not in its current state. It’s a great idea, but, as of now, MobileMe has too many flaws to keep its promises.
...
I am not referring to the launch glitches that plagued MobileMe earlier this month, such as servers that couldn’t keep up with the traffic and email outages that, for some users, persist as I write this. Those were bad, but they have eased considerably... The problems I am citing are systemic."
...
"But in my tests, using two Macs, two Dell (DELL) computers and two iPhones, I ran into problem after problem. "

I have seen a lot of people complain about Sprint's mobile sync (included free with many Sprint Instinct plans) only limited to emails and there is no calendar sync. However, just looking at the challenges faced by Apple in trying to make this work, you can tell that it is no easy task. I am happy that with Sprint Instinct, you can get push-emails without many issues and also get the contact sync to work using mobile sync service. Yes, calendar sync would be real nice to have but not having to pay extra for exchange push-email (or OWA) and contact sync via sprint's website is pretty good if you ask me!

No comments:

Search in Older Posts