Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Disappointing news - No Java keyboard on Instinct for a while

As thousands of Samsung Instinct users wait patiently to have a working browser (such as Opera Mini 4.1) on their phones that doesn't crash on numerous websites (Instinct's default Obigo browser is useless on many sites because it crashes back to the speed dial screen), their hopes of getting it are delayed until later this year (and not August as was expected earlier).

Here is the latest update on this:


"nathan_sprint_adp
Subject:LCDUI Update
Date:2008-08-20 at 03:26 PM CDT

Want to give an update on getting LCDUI support in the Samsung Instinct handset. We have been working with Samsung to get this scoped out, and have this targeted for a release later this year (will not be August as we had hoped - I can't give any more timelines or information on this) In the meanwhile we will continue to provide support for the Samsung Instinct Widget Library including developer guides, sample apps and another future revision of our Sprint WTK to support some features developers have been asking for (ex: virtual keyboard support, etc) We continue to invite you all to provide all the feedback you can/want as we continue to submit this back into the Instinct team to evaluate for future enhancements.

Thanks
Sprint ADP Team"

This is very disappointing news because now Sprint Instinct users are left hanging with a phone that makes it mandatory to have a higher-priced data plan but has a slow and partially usable web browser (crashes on a number of sites - hundreds of forum posts from disgruntled customers confirm this). Any hopes of getting an alternative Java Browser anytime soon are dashed.

It is sad that Sprint with its multi-million dollar Instinct marketing budget couldn't get this fixed sooner when all it would require is some good software developers at their Java software vendor (Qualcomm?) making this a priority.

If you are disappointed because of lack of a decent "working" browser on this phone, you could vent in the comments here or contact Sprint or Samsung to let them know how you feel.

Some options if browser is extremely important to you:
  • Stick it out without a working browser (Instinct browser crashes on numerous websites after you use it for a while) while paying full monthly fee for data and envy the iPhone users.
  • Call Sprint Retentions to give you a discount.
  • Sell Instinct on craigslist or eBay to cover early termination fees and buy an iPhone (apparently 1-2% iPhone 3G users are having connectivity issues but my friend who has one hasn't had any problems with his new iPhone)
  • Call Sprint Retentions to allow you to upgrade to upcoming HTC Touch Diamond at an upgrade/discounted price (afterall Instinct is defective, browser crashes, I would volunteer my phone to confirm this)
  • If T-mobile has good service in your area, check out the upcoming HTC Dream phone based on Google Android software and switch when this phone is released so you get a full iPhone like webkit browser.
  • Hope (right!) that Sprint will sign-up a deal with Opera to make Opera Mini 4.1 work on Instinct by using Instinct's SIWL widgets. Opera developers have so far mocked this phone for not following the basic MIDP 2.0 standards and refused to create a custom version of Opera Mini 4.1 browser for Instinct.

    If nothing else, you could at least vent in the Sprint Developer forum here to let them know how you feel about this delay while you are paying full price for the service!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's Sprint Retentions? Will they actually give me a discount if I wanted to buy a new Sprint phone? I would so buy the TouchPro when it comes out. This whole deal with the Instinct is really getting annoying. I was thinking of selling my Instinct and then using that money to buy the TouchPro or a good PDA/Smartphone/Blackberry.

Anonymous said...

Can I still call for an upgrade eventhough I just got my Instinct a month ago? I'm already getting infuriated with this situation.

Roadtrekkin RV Adventures said...

This may be the straw that breaks the camels back for me. I really wanted to like this phone, but it looks like my faith in Sprint has once again been misplaced. I'm (way) past my 30 day period (mainy due to assurances by Sprint reps that a patch was coming out soon) and I'm left paying 70 bucks a month for a phone that does pretty much what my old M300 did. Am I going to be able to go back to my old plan and phone? I very much doubt it. I should have went with my instinct and got an Iphone.

Anonymous said...

This is so disapointing. I wonder if the new treo is any good?

Kitster said...

I have been waving the flag for Sprint since the phone came out, got my phone 6 weeks ago. I have liked some of the flashy screens and interaction.. but this phone, with as much hype and advertising has been a huge disappointment.

I am unsure wether to buck Customer Retention for a discout until the phone works well, or a discount (with no transfer fees) for the HTC Touch Diamond. I am leaning towards the Diamond.

I really am let down by this news, but I am happy at least I know a little insight into the situation - instead of sitting here blindly waiting for a java keyboard that isn't coming anytime soon.

Anonymous said...

Truly disappointing effort Sprint/Samsung. I had hope that we would have an update to have a nice open system where we could load apps of all kinds. I'm tired of the "canned" experience. I have yet to see any apps worth their weight for this device. It's funny how Apple is the one with the "open" device.
This phone will certainly not be in my pocket for 2 years.

John Howard said...

It's funny how Apple is the one with the "open" device.

I'm as disappointed as anyone with Sprint here, but how is Apple's device any more open than Sprint's?

Anonymous said...

I still think the Instinct is a great phone. This phone will get fixed (eventually). Sprint poured mega-bucks into advertising it. If this phone fails, too many subscribers may jump carriers and Sprint can't afford that. At least the developers are keeping an open communication channel with everyone out there and not leaving us in the dark which would be an even bigger let down.

However, I'm a little disappointed in all the phones out there now that I've seen videos of Android. It would be great if Sprint adapted an Android phone in 2009.

Anonymous said...

Well, adding on to the blog post, what are some ways I can get a discount for my phone if I were to upgrade it? What about that Sprint Retentions? I'd be glad to pay full price for the TouchPro but it would be nice to get a discount.

Anonymous said...

On a positive note, he said later this year, just not in August. August is almost over, and there are how many more months left of this year? Four months? If you're stuck with your Instinct as I am, at least we have that.

And isn't the APP contest almost over? That should mean we're gonna get some good apps soon.

Unknown said...

This is so disapointing, I spok ewith the escilations department you can call and leave a message at 505-771-7677.

I had no luck getting any real help from them. But if we all call with the same issue something may give. But I have no more hope at all.

Anonymous said...

ok the instincts web browser SUCKS BALLS!!! it cant even load the full html of youtube...Samsung should have fixed the browser before the phones release....if they are trying to compete with the iphone MAYBE the phone should idk...WORK!!!!

Search in Older Posts