Monday, September 8, 2008

Details of Per Incident Service and Repair Pricing on Sprint phones

Here are the details of latest per incident service and repair pricing of Sprint phones:

"If you have insurance on the line you may make a claim with the insurance which would cost $50.00 for the replacement phone through Asurion (which is the insurnace company).

We also have a Per Incident Insurance for customers that do not have the Total Equipment Protection plan on their phone line.


This became effective 7-20-08

The New Per Incident Pricing is applicable for all Service & Repair In store, Self-Service, and Advance Exchange repairs and replacements.

Repairs and Replacements due to Mechanical/Electrical Failure or Normal Wear and Tear
- Non-PDA devices and Mobile Broadband Cards $35.00
- PDA devices $55.00

Repairs or Replacements due to Physical Damage
- Non-PDA devices and Mobile Broadband Cards $99.00
- PDA devices $119.00

These items are ALWAYS considered Physical Damage
- Cracked/Broken Housing
- Cracked/Seperated Flip/Hinge Assemble
- Cracked/Bleeding LCD
- Cracked/Broken Lenses
- Broken/Bent Port/Pins

These service will be completed at no charge to the customer:
- Device Unlock/Reset
- Phonebook Swap
- Software Customization
**Excludes antenna replacement.

I hope this helps. Whatever store you went to should have informed you of these options as well, you may want to go back and mention this to them.


Brittany Smith
Sprint e-Care "

I didn't know about this pricing until a couple of days ago. I had to recently get my Instinct phone replaced at Sprint's local corporate repair center and they were first asking the full price ($449.. I think) and then $119 and then finally after arguing with them that there was no damage (touch screen sensor failure - should be considered electronics failure within 1 year warranty) they said as a courtsey they would replace it for $55+tax. If I had known about the policy/rates above, I would have asked them to do it for the "Non-PDA devices and Mobile Broadband Cards $35.00" rate because Sprint clearly says that Instinct is not a PDA and is not even listed on their website among PDA phones :-)

3 comments:

Roadtrekkin RV Adventures said...

What exactly is the relationship between Sprint and the Sprint stores? On several occasions I have been told to go back to the store. The last time, I refused and they resolved my issue over the phone (*2).

Are the stores independent, or are they all Sprint?

Kitster said...

My question is why am I paying 7 bucks a month when I still have to pay 50 bucks for a replacement phone? If my phone breaks after a year, I will be paying either $55 or $119 without insurance, or $134 ($7/mo for 12 months + $50) with insurance. I'm thinking I may cancel the insurance right away.

Me said...

Answer to Question 1: Sprint has a few company stores and a lot of authorized resellers/repair centers. Based on my experience with a few of these authorized repair centers trying to get the defective Instinct repaired/exchanged, they don't have the knowledge/components to repair Instinct phone. But if you have the $7 per month TEP, they will order a replacement for broken Instinct. In comparison, the Sprint corporate repair center (it took me a while to find one even though I live in a big metro area) has a bunch of repair personnel, repair equipment and decision making power. In my case, they exchanged the Instinct because they didn't have the parts to repair the defective touch screen sensor.

* As far as $7 TEP goes, it is easier to get the broken phone replaced with it but based on these new repair rates, it might be worth the risk of canceling the TEP plan. If these repair rates are indeed true, over time the TEP plan will actually cost more.
Before you cancel your TEP, make sure to check with Sprint that these repair rates are indeed correct.

Search in Older Posts