Saturday, September 20, 2008

How to get stock quotes on your Samsung Instinct phone

I see a number of requests from Sprint Instinct users looking for a stock quote application. Unfortunately the Instinct phone doesn't have a stock quote application but there are a number of ways you can create your stock portfolio and view it on your Samsung Instinct browser. Here is one way to do it:


  • Go to http://finance.yahoo.com/badges/
  • Click on Start now and login with a free yahoo account.
  • Select the "Quotes" module.
  • Enter up to 10 stock symbols.
  • Select other settings like width, color theme, etc. and agree to the terms and conditions.
  • Click on "Get code"
  • On the next screen you will see some HTML code. Copy that code and save it in notepad or any other text editor and save it somewhere on your computer.
  • Now you can go to your website (or create a free blog) and paste this code there and you are good to go.
  • If you don't know how to create a web page, check your ISP (internet service provider's) support/help website. Most ISP's allow their customers to create a personal web page. You can paste this code there or get a free blog from blogger.com (you can make it private and password protect it if you want).

You can use this method with any smart phone that has a decent browser!

5 comments:

Roadtrekkin RV Adventures said...

any smart phone with a decent browser? That kind of rules out the instinct then :-)

Anonymous said...

thanks for this tip. Now, I am able to view my stocks on my phone through blogger. It would be nice if pocket express provided this app as well. Oh well...

Been reading your blog, and I have enjoyed it ever since. Sorry to hear about your instinct. I still have mine and the only complaint I have is the web browser. patiently waiting for the major updates.

Dennis said...

I successfully posted the code to my blogspot but when I try logging in to view on my Instinct it says to enable cookies and javascript. Java is enabled in my browser settings and only cookies option is to clear them and its grayed out. Thoughts?

Me said...

You can try to login to gmail or mobile gmail with the same google account that you used for blogspot and select the option to remember your login or keep you logged in. You can then try and see if it will remember you when you go to blogspot blog without having to re-login.

Dennis said...

Nope, tried that but it looks like I'm already logged in with my gmail through the mail section on the phone, but blogspot still asks me to log in. I searched the instinct forums for enabling cookies and the suggestions didn't help me or others.

I guess I'll try tomorrow IF they release the browser update. Otherwise it looks like the endless wait for the LCDUU update. Damn this phone pisses me off.

Search in Older Posts